Enter Greek, Latin or Cyrillic characters to search, English🠒Greek also available
The Liddell, Scott, Jones Ancient Greek Lexicon (LSJ) is perhaps the best known Ancient Greek-English dictionary. Here you can find a wiki implementation.
The wikification of LSJ was no mean task but we hope that the extra features provided by the wiki set-up will enhance the user experience. Some of these features (like the indexes) were made possible through the use of Semantic Mediawiki extensions.
For example, you will get results on the search box no matter whether you type in polytonic Greek, monotonic Greek, Greek without any accents at all, or transliterated Greek. You can even add a search form on your web site or a quick search link on your browser.
Over time, the site was enriched with more content and languages as outlined below.
Bidirectional language pairs
- Ancient Greek ⇄ English (Woodhouse digitized and edited is available for English to Ancient Greek as well as a reversed version from Ancient Greek into English; LSJ's reversal is under preparation)
- Ancient Greek ⇄ Spanish (reversal based on DGE)
- Ancient Greek ⇄ Dutch (reversal based on Mijnwoordenboek)
- Ancient Greek ⇄ Russian (reversal based on Dvoretsky's dictionary)
- Latin ⇄ German (Karl Ernst Georges)
- Ancient Greek ⇄ Italian (under preparation)
Unidirectional language pairs
- Ancient Greek 🠒 French (Bailly abrégé; Bailly 2021 and French to Ancient Greek under preparation)
- Ancient Greek 🠒 German (Wilhelm Pape; German to Ancient Greek under preparation)
- Ancient Greek 🠒 Chinese
- Latin 🠒 English (Lewis and Short)
- Latin 🠒 French (Gaffiot)
- Hebrew 🠒 English (Strong)
- 1/2021: Popups on mouseover, i.e. page previews when hovering over a link.
- 12/2020: Implementation of a special theme for mobile devices with sections collapsed. Tapping on a section expands it.
- 6/2020: Use a dark theme via a browser extension or browser/OS dark mode preference.
- 5/2020: Woodhouse updates with further processing/linkification/corrections/reversal/errata started rolling out. Hebrew to English entries imported (13,674 pages) from Strong's Hebrew Dictionary.
- 10/2019: First batch with 70,000 Russian to Ancient Greek entries imported. Try a search with Cyrillic characters.
- 2019: Intensive work is being done in producing reverse versions (i.e. from other languages to Ancient Greek) of multiple ancient Greek dictionaries: LSJ (English), Bailly (French), Pape (German), and Dvoretski (Russian).
- 2018: Dictionaries have been added from Ancient Greek to Russian and Dutch. Also, from Dutch to Ancient Greek.
- 2017: Many more dictionaries have been added from Ancient Greek to English, French, Spanish and German; also, now you can search from Latin to English, French and German, thus turning LSJ.gr into a Classics Hub.
- CURRENTLY REGISTRATION IS DISABLED DUE TO SPAM ISSUES EXPERIENCED